Prep Time 35 Minutes + 12 Hours Soaking
Total Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
Makes 30 Pcs
- 400 g dried chickpeas
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 15 g chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- light oil, for deep frying.
1. Place the chickpeas in a large bowl, cover with 1 liter water and soak for 12 hours.
2. Drain the chickpeas and pat dry with paper towels. Process in a food processor with the onion and garlic until smooth.
3. Add the ground coriander, cumin, parsley, chili powder, bicarbonate of soda and fresh cilantro. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and mix until well combined. Transfer to a large bowl, knead and leave for 30 minutes.
4. Shape tablespoons of the mixture into balls, flatten slightly, place on a tray and leave for 20 minutes.
5. Fill a deep, heavy based saucepan one third full of oil and heat to 180 dc. (350f). cook the falafel in batches for 1-2 minutes, or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot or cold with tahini, babaghannouj, and pita bread.